Before getting rid of the smell in sneakers, you need to find out its cause. It is not enough to remove the unpleasant odour consequences because soon, you will face the same issue again. Once you have eliminated the cause, proceed to the following steps: washing and disinfection of shoes. This will clean the inner surfaces of the shoe and destroy harmful microorganisms.
Where does the smell in sneakers come from?
When deciding what to do if sneakers stink, it is recommended to find the cause of this phenomenon.
Indirect factors contributing to foul odor:
- intense sweating, which is a consequence of a pathological condition of the body called hyperhidrosis, that is, the sweat glands over-actively produce secretory fluid (sweat);
- the long-term wearing of closed shoes – sneakers;
- increased physical activity, which contributes to more intense sweating;
- wearing socks made of synthetic materials;
- regular use of spices and spicy foods, which affects the work of the sweat glands;
- wearing closed shoes in the heat or staying in a warm room for a long time.
If the feet smell, a direct factor contributing to the occurrence of this defect is the active reproduction of harmful microorganisms. Sweat itself is odourless. For this reason, sneakers become smelly if bacteria multiply against the background of increased sweating.
How to remove foul odour from sneakers?
In order not to rebuy shoes or change insoles, it is recommended to consider several methods by which you can get rid of an unpleasant odour at home. If sneakers stink, use improvised and store products, disinfectants and masking agents. Shoes can be simply washed. However, they will dry for a long time.
This method is not suitable for cases where there is no time to wait. To get the result quickly, they resort to processing with improvised means that eliminate the defect in a few hours, at most overnight.
There are many ways to get rid of the smell in sneakers in a short time:
- Processing of sneakers from the inside: For this, various substances are used: a weak solution of potassium permanganate, vinegar or hydrogen peroxide, alcohol or vodka, salicylic acid. Choose a remedy that is at hand. A cotton swab or disc is moistened in it. The substance quickly wipes the inside of the shoes. However, this is not enough; getting rid of the unpleasant odour will take time. A good result can be obtained if the sneakers are left overnight after treatment in the fresh air (on the balcony or outside). Spray the product using a spray bottle.This will help you to reduce smell in sneakers.
- Teabag: Do you think smell in sneakers can be reduce by a single tea bag? It is used to treat the inside of shoes from odours. Both black and green tea can be used. The bag is squeezed out and wiped on all surfaces in the sneakers.
- Absorbent: activated carbon, soda, salt, baby powder. Any of these products are good at absorbing moisture and odours. With their help, it will not be possible to get rid of the smell permanently, since the bacteria in the sneakers will not die. This means that after a while, it will appear again. However, in the case where it is necessary to eliminate the aroma quickly, these methods are suitable. The absorbent powder is poured into the sneakers and spread over the insole. The product is left overnight. In the morning, shake the powder out of the shoes.
- Prepare a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, salicylic acid, green tea. Take all the components in equal parts and mix them thoroughly before use and pour into a container with a spray bottle. Spray the mixture inside the sneaker and leave the shoes overnight in the fresh air to ventilate.This treatment is the best answer for the bad smell in sneakers.
- Freezing: Do you know Bad smell in sneakers can be freeze? Shoes can be put on the balcony, hung outside the window if it is not possible to take them out into the yard. Another method is to leave sneakers in the freezer but first put them in a plastic bag. This option can be used in the summer.
- Dry raw materials are laid in sneakers: oak bark, leaves of green or black tea, mint, eucalyptus or lemon balm. Any of these products do an excellent job of removing bad smell in sneakers. The raw materials are left in sneakers overnight. If you have time, you can keep the leaves inside for a long time.Then bad smell in sneakers converts fresh mint smell in sneakers!
- Cat litter will help if you apply it fresh. A small amount is poured into the inside of the sneakers. During the night, they will absorb all the unpleasant odours. Remove the granules in the morning.This method help you to reduce 95% bad smell in sneakers.
- Old newspapers. They are used in the same way as cat litter. Newspapers should be crumpled and placed inside the shoes. Remove paper items in the morning. The smell will disappear with the newspaper.
It is recommended to put absorbent substances in woven bags. If soda is considered as an effective remedy, you should know that it cannot be used to remove odour from black sneakers, since white stains will remain.
How to treat sneakers from the smell?
To remove the smell permanently from the sneakers, it is recommended to use methods that destroy harmful microorganisms, and with it the unpleasant amber. These include:
- Special sprays for shoes. For example, you can purchase the “Boot”, “Tulip” product. Any of them will provide the desired result: bacteria will die, and the aroma will disappear. However, over time, the problem may reappear, so it is recommended that you periodically use this tool.
- Here’s another way to get rid of the smell from sneakers – this is a method of treatment with a solution of potassium permanganate or formalin. The agent is used to treat the inner surface of the sneakers. To do this, you must use a cotton swab. Then the shoes are placed in a plastic bag, after a day they are taken out and ventilated in the fresh air.
- Hydrogen peroxide also removes unpleasant odours and disinfects: You need to moisten a soft sponge and wipe the inner layers of the sneakers. There is no need for additional manipulations, for example, as is the case with potassium permanganate. After processing, the shoes are ventilated.
- Ammonium, ethyl alcohol, and vinegar: The effect will be the same as with hydrogen peroxide. These methods are used to disinfect shoes, and they also save from the smell of sweat. A cotton swab dipped in a solution is applied to all surfaces inside the sneakers.
- Chlorhexidine. The recommended concentration of the active ingredient is 1%. In pharmacies, 0.05% is offered in the public domain. This is not enough to destroy the fungus that contributes to the appearance of a specific odour. The principle of processing is the same as in the case of formalin: the insole and inner surfaces are sprayed with the agent, then the shoes are put in a bag, hermetically sealed and left for 1-3 days.
- Miramistin 0.1% : Sneakers that smell of sweat are treated in the same way as in the previously discussed cases. You can treat the surfaces with a cotton swab dipped in the product. To enhance the effect: the shoes are hermetically packed and left for several days.
- If the cause of the foul odour is foot fungus, its elimination is carried out with the help of antimycotic drugs: Mikostop, Gorosten. Choose a spray product. It is used to process the inner surfaces of the sneakers. Let the shoes dry for several hours. The procedure is repeated daily until the cause of the amber is eliminated.
Select devices that allow processing with ions or ultraviolet radiation. Both methods contribute to the destruction of harmful microorganisms. Thanks to this, the smell will disappear, but you will have to clean the shoes once to get rid of the amber that has appeared.
They follow simple rules:
- feet should be washed daily;
- socks are changed 1-2 times a day, depending on how often the shoes are changed;
- so that the sneakers do not stink, it is recommended to monitor the condition of the legs: when a fungus appears, it must be treated;
- it is better to choose socks made from natural materials;
- with hyperhidrosis, sneakers made of leather are worn, you can treat your feet with talcum powder or baby powder: such measures help to reduce the intensity of sweating, the liquid will be absorbed.
You can do foot baths. An effective antiperspirant spray is used to target the sweat glands. In this case, the intensity of sweating decreases.You can also read Life Without Sneakers is Impossible: 10 Main Reasons.