We have put together some proven and affordable ways to help you clean white sneakers at home.
Before you start the operations, your white sneakers need some preparations. This can be done simply by:
- Remove dirt and dust with a dry brush, sponge or microfiber cloth. Please do not delay the cleaning for tomorrow; it is better to clean white sneakers immediately after a walk.
- If, for some reason, you had to go in white sneakers in heavy dirt, wait until it dries. And then try to get rid of dirty stains to the maximum with a regular brush and a suede brush.
- Please take out the laces and insoles: it is better to wash white sneakers separately with laundry soap, stain remover, or bleach.
Hand Cleaning- A budget option
1. Using a toothpaste
Squeeze a small amount of paste from the tube (it is best to use whitening, without interspersing), apply to a dirty place, and carefully rub it in a circular motion with a dry toothbrush. Rinse off the paste with a napkin or sponge moistened with warm water. This is one of the easiest methods to clean white sneakers.
2. Using Baking Soda
Mix it with water so that it turns into a paste. Apply to shoes, rub with a toothbrush, leave for a short while, and then rinse with a napkin or sponge. For a more tangible effect, soda can also be mixed with toothpaste.
3. Using a combination of Vinegar, Soda, Laundry detergent, 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
Mix in the following proportions: 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1 teaspoon of soda, 2 tablespoons of washing powder, 1 tablespoon of peroxide. Rub the paste into the surface of the sneakers and leave for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with water.
4. Using Lemon Juice
If after the above manipulations, the shoes did not become snow-white, mix 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice with the same amount of water, wet a napkin and walk it on the surface.
5. With Potato Starch and Milk
For white leather sneakers, a paste made of potato starch diluted with milk in a ratio of 1: 1 is well suited. Apply a thick coating of this paste to the surface and then wipe it with a cloth moistened with warm water.
6. Using Oxygen-based Bleaches and Stain Removers
They include the mark Oxi. Suitable for shoes made of fabric. Mix the product with a small amount of water, apply to the sneakers for 15 minutes, then rinse.
Another alternative: How to Clean White Sneakers?
Put the white sneakers in water for a couple of hours and add bleach or stain remover, and then clean white sneakers along the surface with a brush with toothpaste or soda. Final steps: Rinse thoroughly.
If there are nets on sneakers, cleaning should be done more carefully: do not use aggressive bleaches, fill shoes with paper towels so that the product does not get inside.
7. Acetone and Vinegar
Mix acetone and vinegar in equal proportions. Moisten a cotton pad or napkin with a mixture, walk on the surface of the shoe. After processing, rinse it with water.
8. Laundry Soap
Moisten the bar, rub it well with a brush, and treat the surface of the sneakers. Then rinse thoroughly.
9. Micellar Water
Suitable not only for removing makeup but also for eliminating small dirt from white shoes. Dampen a cotton pad in water, thoroughly wipe dirty places.
10. Nail Polish Remover or Pemolux
With their help, you can clean the white sole. Apply liquid or detergent to the surface, rinse after 30 minutes.
To make the sole less dirty, you can cover it with several layers of colorless nail polish.
- Perform all manipulations with gloves to protect the skin of the hands.
- Do not use cleaners that are designed for plumbing: they have a whitening effect, but are very aggressive and smell strong (as a rule, they are based on chlorine). Therefore, you risk damaging the surface of the sneaker.
- First, try a folk remedy in a small area of sneakers, so as not to risk your beloved pair.
Expensive option: Clean White Sneakers?
Specialized products are sold in shoe and sports stores. This option is suitable for white sneakers made of genuine leather or suede.
Using such products is easy: wet the brush, apply, and rub on the surface of the sneakers. Remove the resulting foam with a microfiber cloth or a brush moistened with water.
- Fabric sneakers can be washed in the machine. But only if you are sure of their quality (after washing, the sole may peel off).
- Before loading the sneakers into the machine, soak them for a couple of hours in warm water with bleach or stain remover. Then put the sneakers in a white pillowcase or wash with towels.
- Do not use regular powder. It is better to take a stain remover or a liquid whitening soap.
- It’s okay if there is a “sports shoes” mode in the washing machine. If it is not, set the “hand wash,” as well as enhance rinse so that there are no yellow stains. But the spin and drying must be turned off.
What to do after your ‘Clean White Sneakers’ are ready?
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Wipe leather sneakers with a dry cloth. The surface can be treated with colorless shoe polish.
- Do not put running shoes on the battery; do not expose to the sun. It is better if they dry themselves in a well-ventilated room or outdoors.
- Inside the shoe, place white paper towels that take away moisture and shape the sneakers.
- Put in a pair of sneakers for a couple of hours of natural flavors, such as orange or tangerine peels. Also, a piece of raw potato copes well with an unpleasant odor.